Friday, November 30, 2012

Recipe #46 Spicy Sausage Pasta

I decided to make somethng with items that I already had in the house.  This one was close, so here you go.  It is from a site kevinandamanda.com (much better than mine I have to admit) - see the link below.  I liked that it was a one-pot dish and, as I said, made pretty much with items on hand.  The only substitutions I made were that I had some sort of chicken sausage (it was in the freezer without the original wrapping, so I don't remember what was in it).  I also used shredded cheddar cheese instead of mozarella and I substituted Philadelphia regular cooking creme, Italian Cheese & Herb for heavy cream.  Super easy and super flavorful.  Best of all, it was all in one pan - no need to boil pasta separately.  Happy Cooking!



Spicy Sausage Pasta
1 tbsp olive oil
1 lb smoked sausage
1.5 cups diced onion
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
1 (10 oz) can Ro-Tel tomatoes and green chiles, Mild
1/2 cup heavy cream
8 oz penne pasta
1/2 teaspoon salt and pepper, each
1 cup Monterey Jack cheese, shredded
1/3 cup thinly sliced scallions

1. Add olive oil to an oven-safe skillet over medium high heat until just smoking. Add sausage and onions and cook until lightly browned, about 4 minutes. Add garlic and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds.



2. Add broth, tomatoes, cream, pasta, salt and pepper and stir. Bring to a boil, cover skillet, and reduce heat to medium-low. Simmer until pasta is tender, about 15 minutes.

 


3. Remove skillet from heat and stir in 1/2 cup cheese. Top with remaining cheese


and sprinkle with scallions. Broil until cheese is melted, spotty brown, and bubbly.





Read more at http://www.kevinandamanda.com/recipes/dinner/spicy-sausage-pasta.html#ixzz2DWxDOeYL

Nutritional info:  CalorieCount.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment