Saturday, May 5, 2012

Recipe #17 Vietnamese Lemongrass Chicken

IT'S DERBY DAY AND CINCO DE MAYO so why am I posting a recipe that has nothing to do with either one?  I was recently in Garden Grove, California on the way to a conference near Disneyland.  It turns out this area is called Little Saigon which has a very large Vietnamese population.  This is my long, drawn out way of saying that while there I went to a great Vietnamese grocery store and was inspired to try a Vietnamese recipe. 

I did not have curry powder so I substituted cumin and I used ground lemongrass instead of fresh.   I struggled with the sugar/caramel part of the recipe (OK, really screwed it up). I also substituted brown rice for white.  All in all, the recipe was delicious; I also made stir fried vegetables [Japanese eggplant, snow peas, hot red pepper and zucchini] as a compliment to the dinner.  Happy cooking!




Recipe: Vietnamese Lemongrass Chicken
Adapted from Food & Wine Magazine, October 2007
“Simple, Tasty Vietnamese Cooking”

Ingredients:
2 tablespoons fish sauce
3 garlic cloves, crushed
1 tablespoon curry powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons plus 1 1/2 teaspoons sugar
1 1/2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breast/thigh, cut into 1 1/2-inch pieces
3 tablespoons water
3 tablespoons cooking oil
2 fresh lemongrass stalks, tender inner white bulbs only, minced
1 large shallot, thinly sliced
3 chilies, seeded and minced
1 scallion for garnishing



Method:
In a bowl, combine the fish sauce, garlic, curry powder, salt, and 1 1/2 teaspoons of the sugar. Add the chicken meat to coat.














In a small skillet, mix the remaining 2 tablespoons of sugar with 1 tablespoon of the water and cook over high heat, stirring until the sugar is dissolved. Cook without stirring until a deep amber caramel forms. Remove from the heat and stir in the remaining 2 tablespoons of water. Transfer to a bowl.

[I REALLY COULDN'T GET THIS RIGHT!]









Heat a wok over high heat. Add the oil and heat until shimmering. Add the lemongrass, shallot, and chilies and stir-fry until fragrant. Add the chicken and caramel and stir-fry until the chicken is cooked through and the sauce is slightly thickened.


















Transfer to a bowl and top with the scallion.
Serve with steamed white rice.

6 comments:

  1. OMG! I love Thai food! I learned to make curry sauce using the curry paste you can get in a little jar. I also bought red and green curry powders at Cost Plus World Market. I will try this recipe this week, though. I have Fish sauce!
    But I need you to make something with tofu and tempah. I have some and I don't know what to do with it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is Kathleen. IDK why my name didn't come up. Still figuring this out...

      Delete
    2. OK, tofu and/or tempah. Hmm, see what I can come u with. The next recipe is a request from a friend on Facebook, orange chicken

      Delete
  2. Oh, here I am. I don't know where I was.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kthleen, you are coming through as Kurt (something you want to tell me!?)

    ReplyDelete
  4. At first I couldn't comment, then I tried to sign onto Google and had to update my profile. Now I think I have two of them. Good thing this isn't a biological challenge, or I WOULD be in trouble!!!

    ReplyDelete