Friday, April 6, 2012

Recipe #14 Chicken and Broccoli Pasta


Chicken and Broccoli Pasta
This week's recipe is from All Recipes.com and was created by Gloria McShane.  I was looking for a healthy comfort food meal using ingredients I had on hand.  I took note of some of the comments on this recipe and "kicked it up a notch."  One of the cans of diced tomatoes had jalapenos in it and I also added a small can of diced green chiles.  Instead of penne pasta, I used Trader Joe's brown rice fusili (yum).  I also added a couple of pinches of my Italian seasoning with crushed red pepper flakes and, of course, my Monterey Steak Seasoning.  I served this with a deicious Chilean Chardonnary from Trader Joes.  All in all a simple and delicious meal.  Happy Cooking (are you out there followers?)!
 

What to Drink?

WineChardonnay
Prep Time:
10 Min
Cook Time:
10 Min
Ready In:
20 Min

Ingredients

  • 3 tablespoons olive oil
  • 1 pound skinless, boneless chicken breast halves - cut into 1 inch pieces
  • 1 tablespoon chopped onion
  • 2 cloves garlic, chopped
  • 2 (14.5 ounce) cans diced tomatoes
  • 2 cups fresh broccoli florets
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • 1 pinch dried oregano
  • 18 ounces dry penne pasta
  • 1/4 cup fresh basil leaves, cut into thin strips
  • 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese

Directions

  1. In a large skillet over medium heat, warm oil and add chicken; cook until slightly brown. Add onion and garlic to cook for about 5 minutes or until garlic is golden and onions are translucent.               







Add tomatoes, broccoli, salt, pepper and oregano; stir well and bring to a boil. Cover and turn down heat to simmer for about 10 minutes.         


      
Meanwhile, bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Add pasta and cook for 8 to 10 minutes or until tender; drain and add back into pot. Pour chicken sauce into pot and mix well.               


Add basil and toss well; top with Parmesan cheese. Serve.

Nutritional Information open nutritional information

Amount Per Serving Calories: 368 | Total Fat: 7.7g | Cholesterol: 34mg

6 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. It is good and super easy - hope you try it.

      Delete
  2. Finally I figured out how to comment!! I think you could have done something on your end though. ;P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yip Yip. And look back, I've tried to tell people how to do it :)

      Delete
  3. Yummy, will differently try this. Thanks Jackie

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just recently tried brown rice pasta. It is really good! I also bought a basil pkant from TJs so i can have really fresh basil, for as long as I don 't manage to kill the plant.

    ReplyDelete