Friday, January 6, 2012

Recipe #1 Sicilian Olive Chicken

This is my first attempt at blogging, so bear with me (whoever you may be).  I have a bazillion cookbooks and we have access to gazillions of recipes on the internet, but I find that I make the same 5 or 6 dishes.  I love to cook and I love finding good recipes that I can either lighten up or come that way already.  I decided that the only New Year's resolution I may be able to keep is to cook a new recipe per week, so here goes Recipe #1, enjoy:

1.  Sicilian Olive Chicken
From EatingWell: September/October 2011
 

  • Sicilian Olive Chicken Recipe
4 servings
Active Time:
Total Time:

1 14-ounce can petite diced tomatoes with garlic and olive oil or other Italian-style seasoning

  • 1 1/2 cups frozen chopped spinach, thawed
  • 1/3 cup halved Sicilian or other green olives
  • 1 tablespoon capers, rinsed
  • 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper, or to taste
  • 4 4-ounce chicken cutlets (see Tip)
  • 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
  • 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
Preparation
  1. Combine tomatoes, spinach, olives, capers and crushed red pepper in a bowl. Sprinkle both sides of chicken with pepper.
  2. Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Cook the chicken until browned on one side, 2 to 4 minutes. Turn it over; top with the tomato mixture. Reduce heat to medium, cover and cook until cooked through, 3 to 5 minutes.

Tips & Notes

  • Tip: If you can’t find chicken cutlets for this recipe, you can make your own. Purchase four 5-ounce chicken breasts. Remove the tenders and trim the fat. Place the chicken between pieces of plastic wrap. Pound with a rolling pin, meat mallet or heavy skillet until flattened to about 1/2 inch thick.

Nutrition

Per serving: 210 calories; 8 g fat ( 2 g sat , 5 g mono ); 63 mg cholesterol; 8 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 26 g protein; 3 g fiber; 527 mg sodium; 401 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (151% daily value), Vitamin C (32% dv), Folate (22% dv), Magnesium (17% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1 1/2 vegetable,3 lean meat, 1 fat

2 comments:

  1. Sounds easy enough and I think I have all the ingredients on hand, so I can try it too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i tried making this & loved it!!!!

    ReplyDelete